By: Doctor Matete C Mathobela
Skin, Hair, Nails and Cosmetic Specialist
There are 4 key components of having a successful skincare routine; Protection, Prevention, Cleansing and Moisturizing.
Let’s start with protection & prevention;
UV Damage is caused by everyday UV radiation to your skin. It does not happen in small amounts, over the Summer. We know that being outside is not the only form of UV radiation we get in today’s world. The most effective ingredient in blocking out both UVA and UVB rays successfully is Zinc Oxide. Sunscreen should always be a mandatory step in your final day regime and you should be reapplying it every 2 hours to get the proper protection.
I recommend using;
- Heliocare 360 gel oil free – Excellent for those with oily and acne skin types as it will not clog the pores and it does not leave your skin feeling oily.
- Heliocare 360 Pigment Solution Fluid SPF50 – Great for those suffering or treating pigmentation, with it’s light tint, it successfully blurs those pigmented areas while preventing the increase of melanin that causes age spots and pigmentation.
- La Roche Anthelios Invisible Shaka Fluid SPF 50 – A fantastic SPF to use on sensitive skin and types and combination skin types.
- Brush Mineral UV Protect & La Roche Anthelios Anti-Shine Invisible Fresh Mist – These 2 SPF’s are perfect for those who wear makeup on a daily basis. The mineral brush is a translucent powder that prevents make-up from smudging & Anti-Shine Invisible Mist is Great for those oily skins that enjoy wearing makeup and do not want to feel oily after each spray.
Cleansers are great, as they assist in the removal of make-up, pollution, removal of excess oils and some of them also provide your skin with hydration, without stripping the skin’s natural moisture. An Oily skin would need a gel-based or bar cleanser to assist with the prevention of oil build up causing breakouts. A more dry skin will require a milky based cleanser which will provide the additional hydration the skin needs.
I recommend using;
- Skinceuticals Gentle Cleanser – It is soft and hydrating on the skin providing the skin with the ultimate hydration from the very first step.
- Esthederm Esthe White Brightening Youth Cleansing Foam – Is great for a very sun damaged, dry, pigmented skin condition.
- Avene Cleanance Gel Cleanser / Bar – This is great for oily skin types. Can be used from early teenage years to adulthood.
- Obagi Clenziderm MD Daily Care Foaming Cleanser – One of the best cleansers to use on a severe acne prone and oily skin type.
Moisturizers act as a humectant which draws water into your cells, leaving your skin feeling supple and hydrated. It can also act as a barrier, which prevents water loss in the skin. One of the most common humectants you find in your moisturizers today are Hyaluronic Acid and Urea. It is important to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized as it will help your skin and cells stay stronger for longer.
I recommend using;
- Neostrata Restore Bionic Face Cream – This is a great product for Dry and Sensitive skin types.
- La Roche Effaclar Duo – This moisturizer is targeted at oily and blemish prone skin.
- SkinCeutical Metacell Renewal B3 – Is an all rounder great product for most skin types. It also has great anti-ageing and hydrating properties.
- Obagi MD Retivance Complex 30G – This is a 3 in 1 moisturizer that assists to target; dry skin, Pigmentation issues and Ageing. It is the only retinol product that can be used as a night moisturizer in even the most sensitive skin types.
Products recommended by a skin care professional are essential in treating different skin issues. Not all skin types and skin concerns are the same. As a customer you should always outline your concerns and goals of what you would like to achieve. Never try to diagnose the issue on your own, consult a professional for the best results.